It’s around 3pm at work and you can’t seem to keep your eyelids open. The clock seems to be ticking by unbelievably slowly and you feel as if you may fall asleep in your chair right here and now. I have this feeling at least once a week and I can’t keep reaching for that extra cup of coffee. Too many cups and I find that i’m practically vibrating off the caffeine. I had to find some ‘perk up’ alternatives that wouldn’t have me nodding off or vibrating out of my desk chair. Here are some of my tried and true methods for perking up that midday slump without that extra dose of caffeine.
1. Drink Some Ice Water. A super, super cold glass of water seems to shake up my system a bit. It’s like when you jump into that super cold pool water or get hit with an ice cold water balloon. You just feel this super-chilled burst of energy that can definitely perk up your afternoon. Don’t feel like drinking water, try splashing some chilled water on your face or running cold water on your wrists. You’ll definitely feel a tad more awake after that!
2. Sniff Lemon or Peppermint Oil. It may just be that I love all things scented, but scented oils have been another obsession of mine when it comes to perking myself up in a mid-afternoon slump. You have to be careful though which scents you choose because certain scents, like lavender, will definitely increase your desire to catch some zzzzz’s. You want to go for bigger, brighter scents instead like citrus-y lemon or invigorating peppermint. I really love the smell of grapefruit and always seem to have a small bottle of grapefruit essential oil handy. I like to rub a few drops between my hands and then inhale the tasty scent. It seems to give me just the boost I need! You can always dab a few drops on your wrists or on your temples too.
3. Get Some Sun. It could just be the actual acting of leaving the artificial lights of the office for a few minutes, but a quick jaunt outside in the sunshine is always a great remedy for an afternoon drop in energy. So head outside, soak up some Vitamin D, and take in some deep breaths of the outside air.
4. Enjoy a Snack Attack. An oldie, but a goodie. Eating a snack can help boost your energy levels like you just took a 20 minute catnap, but definitely be careful of the snacks you choose. While a donut may seem like the perfect amount of deliciousness, the sugar crash later will have you telling yourself that it was so not worth it. I really love grabbing a portion controlled snack from my desk drawer like a Kind Bar, a Graze snack or one the little packets of deliciousness from Nourish snacks. It definitely gives you that burst of energy without the crash.
5. Listen to Some Dance Tunes. So depending on your office rules, you may or may not be able to try this one, but working at a startup, we can all choose the music playing throughout the office and I always tend to throw in a few of my upbeat, dance party favorites into the mix around 3pm. I can groove along in my desk chair and lip-sync to a little T-Swift to get my energy levels to a higher level and that just all around puts me in a better mood.
Have any non-caffeinated perk up tips of your own? Share with me in the comments below!