Stress is inevitable for most of us. It comes in waves and at times can be downright tricky to manage. Whether it’s job stress, relationship stress, money stress, or just general life stress, you can’t let it beat you! The trick to managing your stress is find easy, everyday ways to alleviate it’s control as best you can. Here are some of my own favorite methods for beating stress.
1. Take a Bath – My ultimate stress reliever has to be taking a long and relaxing baths at home. I’ll get back from a stressed out to the max day at work and immediately start running myself a warm bath. I’ll light a few deliciously scented candles and drop in a bath bomb from Lush and I slowly start mellowing out. One of my current Lush favorites is from their Christmas Collection and it’s the Luxury Lush Pud. It has some gorgeous colors that you watch swirl around the tub as you inhale the scents of lavender and tonka absolut. It smells quite similar to their Twilight bath bomb and it’s perfect for an end of the day soak. The bath is also one of my favorites spots to think. If I’m ever stressed out by a question I can’t seem to answer or a problem that seems impossible to solve, I’ll take my time to figure it out during my bath.
2. Make a Cup of Herbal Tea. Herbal tea is a great stress reliever for me on even the toughest days because of its simplicity. If I drink coffee or even black tea when I’m stressed, I find that I can get a bit jittery and that tends to make my stress even worse, but when I sip on a cup of hot herbal tea, to me the whole world slows down just a bit. I have a whole drawer in my house dedicated to all of my favorite flavors from David’s Tea. They have such a huge selection, I know I will never get bored. Lately, I’ve been getting crazy stressed so my tea intake has gone way up, but that’s okay because it’s given me a chance to go through David’s tea new winter collection. My favorites thus far have been Apple Custard and Cocomint Cream.
3. Ask yourself this question. Will this matter a year from now? I found this quote a couple of years ago as an excerpt from a book called Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff. It’s crazy how well this works for me. Anytime my stress gets to that penultimate high level, I bring it back down to earth by asking the simple question of ‘Will this matter a year from now?’ The answer is always a resounding no and it puts that stress into a sizable box for me to handle. This is today’s stress, but it won’t be there tomorrow or a week from now or a month from now. In fact, by that time, I probably won’t even remember why I was stressed out in the first place.
4. Do a bit of reading. I love reading every day. It’s the perfect escape for me to get out of my own head and into some other world. The things I’m stressing about never seem quite so bad or important after a couple of chapters elsewhere. If books aren’t your thing, I also love catching up on my magazines. There is a new stack of magazines in my apartment every month and stressful times are the perfect time to catch up on what’s inside. Two of my favorites have to be Cosmo & Lucky Magazine. They are perfect companion to catch up on celebrity gossip, the latest fashion trends and new beauty tips!
5. Listen to Some Tunes. Music is a great way to ease into a more calm or energized state. A favorite tune for immediately erasing stress from my brain is Brooke Waggoner’s Fresh Pair of Eyes. I have mentioned this song before and I probably will again because it has always been one of my ultimate stress busters. It’s just so calming and relaxing to put on repeat and mellow out. Although, on occasion, I have also been known to dance out my stress to some good pump up beats. My favorites right now are basically every song from Taylor Swift’s new album 1989. You can’t NOT dance to that.
Have some stress beating tips of your own? Share them with me in the comments below!