Some days, everything seems to be pulling against you. You trip down the stairs and skin your knee. You’re late for your bus and there isn’t another one coming for 30 minutes. It starts to rain and you didn’t bring an umbrella. Everything you do at work turns out wrong and you feel utterly useless. These are the worst of the worst kind of days, the days that make you just want to curl up in bed and close your eyes until it’s tomorrow. Although, I can’t make it tomorrow whenever I please; sadly I don’t have the time turner from Harry Potter, I have found a few ways to make that bad day a slightly better one.
1. Curl up with your favorite blankie. Don’t lie, most of us have one. Our favorite, most comforting fuzzy little blankie that seems to make everything feel okay. I don’t care if it’s not time to get in bed. Hop right in and cuddle up with your favorite blankie and let yourself feel comforted. Things can only get better after cuddling up with my favorite fuzzy fleece blanket.
2. Phone a Friend. Or your mom, or your boyfriend, girlfriend, sister, brother, dad, etc. You might not want to talk to anybody, your day has just been that bad, but it really is a huge help! A five minute chat with my mom seems to make every issue I’ve ever had seem really minute. She knows exactly what to say and when she tells me that ‘everything is going to be okay’, I truly believe her. A quick chat with another person reminds you that you are not alone in your truly terrible, completely awful, no good, bad day. We have ALL been there.
3. Grab a Donut or your favorite treat. Hey, Hey, Hey, you deserve it! Every once in a while, you deserve a treat and when you’re having a really awful, completely terrible, no good bad day, you deserve an even BIGGER treat. Two of my favorite bad day treats are donuts & macarons. I don’t eat either very often so it always make me feel a bit better to grab an assortment of my favorite treats in delicious flavors.
4. Pick up your favorite book. Sometimes, reading the news or a heavy book is just not something my brain can process. This is only tripled on one of those truly awful, no good, bad days. All I want to do is grab one of my favorite guilty pleasure book series and enjoy some chapters of light reading. And that is exactly what I do. One of my favorites is the Gossip Girl book series. I love diving into the story and remembering all the characters I had forgotten. It does a great job of helping me forget about my bad day, as I read all about Blair Waldorf & Dan Humphrey. If you have a favorite book series that you know is a bit of guilty pleasure, grab it and start reading. No Guilt needed. You deserve to take a brain break!
5. Watch your favorite guilty pleasure tv show. So, I have a confession. I love abc family’s Young & Hungry. It is my current, ultimate, guilty pleasure show. Generally, I save it to watch by myself, when my boyfriend is in taking a shower. It is such a cute show and I am totally rooting for Gabby and Josh to get together. On my really awful, completely terrible, no good bad days, I throw ‘saving episodes’ to the wind and watch all the episodes from the beginning. Giggling at all the silly scenes and oohing and ahhing at all the romance seems to do a good job of making me forget my really awful, completely terrible, no good bad day. So, pull up your favorite guilty pleasure show and make a marathon out of it!
Have any tips of your own for cheering up a really bad day? Share them with me in the comments below!