Archives for September 2014
1. Control the portions – It’s so easy to lose yourself in a bag of chips, a bowl of popcorn, a seemingly endless container of something and forget to realize that you are no longer hungry. Large bags of anything can present a problem, even large bags of healthy snacks. Everything in moderation is the key. Graze is the perfect solution for that! Graze sends you 4 portion controlled snacks weekly or bi-weekly that are determined by your food preferences. With so many healthy and tasty choices, I get so excited to see my graze box on the doorstep. They are the perfect portion size snacks to keep in my desk.
2. Enjoy a small treat – Depriving yourself of all treats all the time is not helpful, at least not for me. It usually ends up with me going on an treat bender, eating my weight in donuts or macaroons or cake or pie. To avoid this, I let myself enjoy small treats whenever I feel that they are necessary. If I want a donut, how about I only eat a small piece. If I want macaroons, how about I only get one. Letting myself enjoy small treats whenever I need helps me avoid the big treat benders!
3. Make healthier snacks available – If all your office has is chips and candy, you’re only going to eat chips and candy. Make sure you have healthier options too! Our office has chips and candy, but they also order NatureBox snacks that come once a month. We get 5 different bags of healthy and delicious snacks sent to us each month. It makes opening up the snack drawer a lot easier when I know I can grab the healthier version of a snack I love. Two of my favorite NatureBox snacks right now are the Asiago & Cheddar Cheese Crisps and the Cashew Crumble.
4. Take a break when you snack – Do you know how easy it is to overeat because you’re too busy staring at your television, computer or pouring over a notebook to even realize that you’re full? How about taking a 10 minute break from all three when you need a snack. Not only will it prevent you from over-snacking, but sometimes it’s just nice to take 10 minutes to yourself during your busy day.
5. If craving this, then grab that – Cravings are hard to ignore, but it’s a major lesson in self-control when you learn how to manage them without totally giving in every time. One way is to find suitable substitutes for the thing you’re craving. It’s definitely a lot of trial and error to find out what constitutes a suitable alternative for you. For those craving sugar, fruit is a healthy alternative. It gives you the sugar and sweetness you want, without breaking the health bank. If you’re like me though, a piece of fruit isn’t really enough to squash that craving. If I’m eating fruit, I’ll add some honey or fruit yogurt or when fruit isn’t enough, I’ll go Cashew Crumble. The Naturebox Cashew Crumble is a perfect sugar substitute for me. It combines cookie bits with cashews, giving me a little of what I’m craving and a little of what’s good for me. Also, it’s totally delicious! Find your suitable substitutes for all your cravings and make them your new normals.
Have a great snacking tip of your own? Share them with me in the comments!
I love the combination of bright red hair paired against the blue skirt and creamy sweater.
This week marks the beginning of Fall, a season I am ridiculously excited for. Falling leaves, cold breezes, dark polishes, Halloween candy, thick scarves, everything signals change and the start of something new. The start of Fall means a lot of things to me, including the return of many Fall favorites. Here are some of the things I am most excited to see return this Fall.
Pumpkin Spice Lattes – The delicious taste of Pumpkin is back in my coffee and in my tea and I’m all excited for the change. I love Pumpkin everything and that first taste of Pumpkin in my coffee is the official start of Fall for me.
Halloween Decorations – There is little that I love more than decorating for the holidays and decorating for Halloween is no different. I love to string up the fake cobwebs and litter them with fake little black spiders. There are pumpkins everywhere in my apartment and one of these years, I will get one of those blow up lawn decorations to display that I have always lusted after during many a Fall Coscto run.
Cosy Sweaters – Fall means the return of one of my all time favorites, the cosy sweater. When the weather turns chilly, I love pulling out my pile of comfy sweaters in varying colors. I’m usually wearing one over every single outfit in my closet and each of them is like a warm hug.
Thick Socks – For the days when you know that it is just too cold to get out of bed, the solution is to immediately throw on the thickest pair of socks you have and let your toes get cosy. I feel warmer all over when my feet are cosy and I like to ‘risky business’ it around the apartment sliding to and from rooms in a happy Fall daze.
Fall Boots – I’m all about two kinds of shoes in Fall. Fall flats & Fall boots and I’ll have to admit my favorite is definitely a good pair of Fall boots. Every year, I buy a pair of Fall boots that are cute and inexpensive, but quality wise, barely last the season. This year, I’m determined to invest in a really good pair of Fall boots that will carry me through the Fall seasons ahead and always be in style. It’s my new Fall mission.
Apple Picking – Apples! Apple picking, Apple cider, Apple pie, Apple muffins, Apple strudel, Baked Apples, everything Apples! Fall is all about Apples and I am more than happy to oblige. I have made many a delicious baked good using apples in past Fall seasons, but this year I am planning on heading to an orchard to take in the brisk air and to hand select my own apples.
Have a Fall favorite of your own that you can’t wait to see back in rotation? Share them with me in the comments below!