Mornings are always the hardest for me. When I wake up, I always want to close my eyes and snuggle in my warm comfy bed. Leaving seems like a totally unbearable task so I’ve come up with some ways to make it easier for me to get up and at ’em in a more cheery fashion.
1. Slowly enjoy a good cup of coffee. I hate having to rush out the door in the morning with a to-go cup of coffee. I’ve spilled in my bag more than once and I always feel like the coffee just isn’t as good by the time I get to the office. I try to take the time in the morning to slowly make myself a cup of coffee or tea. This slow ritual can gives me the time to take some deep breaths and slowly adjust to being awake.
2. Look through Instagram or Tumblr. I’m a very visual person. A picture can change my entire mood in an instant. I spend at least 10-15 minutes every morning looking through my Instagram feed and Tumblr posts to simply ‘think happy thoughts’. A photo of a beautiful ocean or woods in the fall or even a cupcake piled high with icing can help me remember all the great things that can be happen once I’m up and out of my bed!
3. Write out your to-do list. Sometimes, anxious nerves hit me in the morning as I mentally run through my to-do list and try hard not to forget anything on it. I refuse to do that anymore! Now, I sit down at my desk and carefully write out my to-do list while I slowly sip on my morning coffee. Calmly taking the time to write out each item on my list makes it seem much less daunting, especially when I write it out on the cute little Kate Spade notepads I picked up from Design Darling.
4. Put on your favorite playlist. Everyone knows how much music can change your mood! Depending on my morning mood, I choose a soundtrack to play as I go through my morning skincare and makeup routines. I’ve been loving a New Orleans/Jazz playlist on Pandora for my calming mornings and have been playing Taylor Swift’s ‘Shake it Off’ on repeat for my more exuberant, dance around mornings!
5. Plan out your outfit the night before. I’ve been that girl where I stared at my closet, chock full of clothes and yelled to my boyfriend that ‘I have nothing to wear’. There’s nothing worse than getting ready in the morning and feeling uninspired to put on anything in your closet. I’ve taken to planning out my outfit the night before to help myself get excited to get dressed in the morning. I’ll usually take the time to check the weather and plan a cute and totally put together ensemble that gets me excited to get out and about in the morning and show off.
Have any tips that make your mornings a little easier? Share them with me in the comments below!