You wake up on Sunday morning so cheery and bright! You got to sleep in late, you slowly get up to make some coffee and you feel like you have all the time in the world to do whatever moves you. Then, all of a sudden, its 6 p.m. and you feel like the week is already here. You’re thinking about your work inbox and the projects that are due to be completed and the seemingly endless tasks list that you were oh-so-happy to leave at the office when you took off on Friday.
I tend to get this feeling every Sunday afternoon and my boyfriend has dubbed it my Sunday Blues. I start to focus too much on the week ahead and all the work that needs to be done and I forget to enjoy my Sunday. It’s a terrible cycle of sudden anxiety and nerves that I was determined to put a stop to. After many a sad Sunday, I have found some great ways to to subdue the Sunday Blues.
1. Fix yourself a Sunday Pamper evening. Grab yourself a scented bath bomb, a soothing face mask and a calming playlist and draw yourself a warm bath. It is the perfect way to calmly ease yourself into the start of a new week. It’s become one of my cherished Sunday rituals to pop myself in a hot bath and take some very necessary ‘me’ time.
2. Plan a special Sunday dinner. I usually end up rushing through my weekday dinners and rarely take the time to make a proper meal. I also tend to eat ridiculously fast so I can get onto whatever I’m doing next. This doesn’t exactly make for a relaxing meal. On Sundays, I try to make or order something special; Taking my sweet time to enjoy a particular favorite, eat a dessert, drink some wine. Having a special meal encourages me to slow down and take the time to enjoy my Sunday.
3. Pick out a great end-of-weekend movie. Whether it’s an old one that you’d love to see again or a new one that you’ve been wanting to see for awhile, plan to make it a Sunday night event. Grab the popcorn, red vines or whatever candy you prefer and settle in to watch your end-of-weekend flick.
4. Put on your comfiest pair of pajamas. Pajamas, to me, are like a big warm hug. To relieve any nerves about the coming week, putting on your comfiest pair of pajamas is always a great idea. My favorite pair is a Nick & Nora Sock Monkey Onesie! It is the comfiest thing I’ve ever worn. If it was considered appropriate, I would totally wear them to work everyday. (Oh, if only!)
5. Take the time to read a bit. Reading is a treasured pastime of mine. It can completely transport me and after a few pages, I totally forget about anything, but the story in the book. (I’ve walked into a few doors this way) I make sure that reading is the last thing I do on Sunday night and the first thing I do when I wake up Monday morning. It’s a perfect way to end my weekend and it puts me in a great mood to start a fresh, new week.
Do you ever get the Sunday blues? Have any tips of your own? Share them with me in the comments below!